Starter Fleet Recommendations?

Anything pertaining to Chaos fleets and the BFG game

Starter Fleet Recommendations?

Postby birdie on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Ok calling all BFG players!, I've managed to pick up the blue book cheap off fleabay, and I'd like a quick bit of pointing in the right direction, can you recommend to me a small starter fleet that I can aim for to get me started?
Gone.................but not forgotten

birdie
Reaper Terminator

Re: Starter Fleet Recommendations?

Postby World Bleeder on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Congrats on getting you hands on a copy of the BBB Birdie! A good point cost for starter games is 500 points. Or you can also do the cruiser clash scenario, which is a one on one ship battle.

For a 500 point Chaos fleet list I would recommend.

1x Devastation
1x Carnage
3x Infidel

For a one on one clash I would go for a Devastation. Let me know if you'd like some tactics to use or some reasons why I'd pick those ships.
A good leader inspires by example but if that fails brutal violence works just as well.

World Bleeder
Lord Commander

Postby Skyzerker on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

I've always been keen on the Styx class, all those launch bays let you get at the enemy up close and personal. Couple that (or any ship with lots of capabilities for boarding actions) with a captain with the MoK and you've got a very dangerous boat!
Sanity... ...is for the WEAK!

Brave are the deeds
Of fallen victorious
Never forgotten
Lonely are the glorious
Skyzerker
Daemonhost

Postby birdie on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks Lads, I think I'll do a bit more reading on the rules, I like both suggestions, maybe I'll do both :D I'll see what's available on GW's site in the way of ships.

birdie
Reaper Terminator

Postby World Bleeder on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Well now I agree with Skyzerker that the Styx is one of the best ships available but it's a Heavy Cruiser and is 100 points more expensive than the Devastation. I wouldn't take a Heavy Cruiser class ship in a small point game. If you were talking about a 1000-2000 point game then of course I wouldn't hesitate to take a HC class ship.

In a smaller point game, around 500 points like you were asking about Birdie then having more ships can be better. That's why I made the recommendation that I did. With the Devastation you get Launch Bays, Port & Starboard Lance and Prow WB. Then the Canrnage gives you huge amount of WB and the Infidels give you missiles. They have 45-60cm distance which allows you to keep your enemy at a distance and pound him into dust all the while sending missiles and bombers at them. This is a devastating force that should be able to take on all comers.
A good leader inspires by example but if that fails brutal violence works just as well.

World Bleeder
Lord Commander

Postby Skyzerker on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:18 pm

That one was my fault, I haven't played or read up on the rules in years so I'd forgotten that the Styx was a HC and therefore cost-prohibitive in smaller games. Christian will be the man for you to talk to on this one, he has more experience and, more importantly, it's all current!

Though I love this game, it does force you to think, there's a lot of forethought and tactics to be considered in an engagement. I should probably play orks now that I think about it... :lol:

Brave are the deeds
Of fallen victorious
Never forgotten
Lonely are the glorious
Skyzerker
Daemonhost

Postby World Bleeder on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Orks are a blast! Litterally :lol: They have the toughest front armor. All you have to do with them is run straight for your enemy shooting the whole time. Then crash into them once you get there :lol:

World Bleeder
Lord Commander

Postby Skyzerker on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:07 pm

World Bleeder wrote:Orks are a blast! Litterally :lol: They have the toughest front armor. All you have to do with them is run straight for your enemy shooting the whole time. Then crash into them once you get there :lol:

I was figuring on just crashing into them, I'd forgotten about shooting on the way in! Just shows how simple my tactics are!

Brave are the deeds
Of fallen victorious
Never forgotten
Lonely are the glorious
Skyzerker
Daemonhost

Postby Kelsik on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:29 am

Congrats and welcome to the game Birdie,
I have to aggree with all the comments on the Styx. It is a must have for med sized games. 750 and up.
Unless your fighting tau, even under 500 pts, a styx is needed.

Chaos fleets are a circling abeam firing fleet. a few ships are geared for close combat but when you look at the stats and ranges of most of your cruiser line youll see that thier best offence and devence is to stay at long range.
Your ships have the speed to do this as compared to other fleets.

One thing I can advise to help teach you some of the tactics is to play a few games by your self. No surprises to be sure but youll see the mechanics of game play.
If you really want to see the str of one ship vs another do a one on one. that fight always teaches me what any one ship is good at and what it should avoid doing.
One early match up id suggest is a styx vs devestation. Load all launch bays with torpedo bombers for both ships and see how your offence and defence operation take shape. Lastly, roll the dice several times when doing a attack. This will show you the average ( unless your really good with probablities, Im not so i roll the dice a few times)
still take the first roll as the score but the extra set of numbers will give you a good indicator of how much damage you can get most of the time.
Kelsik
Acolyte

Postby birdie on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the initial advise lads (I'm sure I'll be back for more!)

So, just to let you know I was in my local GW tonight and placed an order for two Chaos Cruisers and 3 Infidel Class Raiders, so I'm really looking forward to them arriving :D Now all I need to figure out is where to get a hold of some BFG dice and some markers/templates etc.

birdie
Reaper Terminator

Return to + BATTLEFLEET GOTHIC +