Sixteenth Painting\Convertion Contest

ThroneOfSkulls.com competitions past and present

Re: Sixteenth Painting\Convertion Contest

Postby KrautScientist on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:16 am

I realise that I'm a bit late to the party, but nevertheless: Congratulations, Arbaal!

A well-deserved victory! I really loved Dexter's Huron (and have in fact based my own version on it), and Ulfnar's Ulfrik counts as was also really awesome, but the sheer scope of your project and your attention to detail make this one a winner! Fantastic work!

On a related note, I would advise you to be proud of your work in spite of the old school stylings: There's no use in emulating everybody and their cousin on the internet, you have to find a technique and style you are comfortable with. Sure, you can learn an awful lot from other people's work, but in the end, the most important thing is to find an approach you are happy with. You will end up with contest-winning miniatures like this -- you better believe it! :)

One last thing about your photos: Im not really sure the photos themselves are the problem in your case. It's rather the fact that you seem to have chosen a rather terrible way of hosting and sharing them. I would advise you to start an account over at Dakka (their image hosting service is just amazing) or Flickr in order to share your photos in a more comfortable (and less eye-searing) way. Your models certainly deserve it!

Anyway, fantastic work all around, gentlemen! :thumbsup:
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com
World Eaters / INQ 28 / Terrain / Other
KrautScientist
Master of the Hunt

Postby Arbaal on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:07 pm

thanks a lot KS! it means a lot to me that people seem to like my work, even if it is a bit oldschool-painted (but i just love these contrasts!). nevertheless, the pictures are a problem and that wasnt due to the hosting system (or not only), the lights and colours were really a bit problematic. but i will find a way. :)

regarding forums i am quite happy here. people here are nice, there´s a normal talk about the topic and no insulting or fights. i have experienced that this is very rare, that´s why i am not in too many forums, as i have no patience for this. but as i said above, i will find a way to solve the pic-problem without joining more forums.

for the next contest i hope to motivate more members to do something, cus i would like to have more and different entries and pictures. doing a topic "paint what you want" doesnt make much sense, but doing something more "specialized" could also "scare away" people that would otherwise join. now that i also collect a daemonkin army i could also do a 40k topic. as most of you collect 40k stuff that could be more attractive than a FB topic... that reminds me that i wanted to continue working on my muscleletters... shame on me, i didnt do much for 2weeks now. ;)
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for his Throne!
Arbaal
the Undefeated, Destroyer of Khorne

Postby Lawz420 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:14 am

Great to look at some of the entries great job guys :)
Blood for the Blood God
Lawz420
Warrior Champion

Previous

Return to + CONTESTS +